The Yuma Conservation Garden

Home

Yuma Conservation Garden History

 

The Yuma Conservation Garden (YCG) is a botanical garden and natural habitat thanks to the vision and dedication shown by founders – Sam Dick, Alton Duke, Frank Deason, and Don McCain  .Land was donated to Yuma County at the fairgrounds location by the U.S. Bureau of Land Management in the early 1950’s. The area where YCG now sits is managed by the Yuma County Fair Board. In 1989, members of the Yuma and Laguna Natural Resource Conservation Districts (NRCD’s) asked the Fair Board for permission to utilize the duck pond area of the grounds as a botanical garden and outdoor learning center.

A Board of Directors made up of NRCD’s, Fair Board and community members have developed a series of trails, demonstration areas, and lesson plans to utilize the natural setting for education and special events. In January 2001 the Yuma Conservation Garden received 501(c)(3) status. The Garden and education center continues to be a Conservation work in progress. From the rare plants Sam Dick originally collected, a wonderful world of Sonoran Desert trees, shrubs, cacti, animals, and birds has developed.

Today, the Yuma Conservation Garden is part of a state-wide network of education centers administered by the State Land Department and recognized by the Arizona Department of Game and Fish as a natural habitat.